Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Green Juice

Photobucket Image Hosting

My latest thing - though I'm still a big fan of the green smoothie - is green juice. Send all those vitamins and minerals right into your system w/o all the fiber to bog you down. And if you can't tolerate the taste of the green juice you can use it as the base for your green smoothie... then you don't have to put spinach etc in .. just your fruit and call it good!

My favorite green juice is 4 stalks celery/5 leaves to one head of greens (above are dandelion greens)/one cucumber/4 apples (the more tart the better)

I put some water in the bottom of the blender (preferably the vitamix) and add the celery. Blend those up real well. Add the greens and blend - sometimes you have to use the plunger thing to push the greens down. then add everything else - pre chopped of course.

Then I dump the mush in a nut milk bag and strain it. This makes enough for me to have an entire quart and the kids to each have a pint. They LOVE it. They were asking for it this a.m.

Photobucket Image Hosting

And some photos of the kids picking the last of my tomatoes that didn't get a chance to ripen... which unfortunately was most of them.
Photobucket Image Hosting

Photobucket Image Hosting

Photobucket Image Hosting

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:13 PM

    This is wonderful! Especially that your kids like it and ask for more! I would love to get to that point with my toddler!

    I know I always feel invigorated when I drink greens.

    One question - where did you find the canning jars that you use? Somewhere in Madison, perhaps??? I would like to buy some.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:25 PM

    I cannot tell you how gross that looks. It looks like something from a Halloween recipe book. When I come up there I'll have to try it... because it has to be good if you keep drinking and blogging about it. But I'm not going to buy a blender to test it out. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But isn't the idea behind all the fiber to make you feel full and to clean out your system? Where do you get a nut sack? I mean, Brian has one but I don't think he wants me to use his for THIS! LOL (sorry, couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are ball jars and I bought them at the Willy Street Co-op! :)

    Yes, the nutmilk bag is quite hysterical! :) I got mine online, but you might be able to get them at PCC or Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:31 PM

    I think the point about fiber is a good one. The fiber (in the smoothie) would be good for cleansing the body, but I think the juice is also good and full of vitamins and minerals and lots of other good things.

    Either method is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the fiber is good, but the juice allows the minerals and nutrients to get straight into your system. Don't knock the fiber.. it's a good thing for sure. I just like to change it up a bit... :) And frankly was tiring of the FULL feeling of the smoothie. :) Both are good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is som truly frightening looking stuff. And while I'm nearly repulsed at the look of it, I am kind of intrigued about what it muight taste like..... I like all those things seperately... except maybe dandelion greens which I'm not sure I've ever even seen, much less tasted. I too will try when I see you next... just to say I did it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha... tastes like apple juice for the most part.

    ReplyDelete