Friday, January 13, 2006

11/30/05 - 8 weeks 6 days

Oh my God! It’s twins!!!! We had our first ultrasound on Monday 11/28/05 and as soon as she put the wand in I could see two sacs. I started laughing right away and couldn’t stop! I’m still in utter disbelief… okay not disbelief… maybe denial! J Very early on I thought it was twins… assumed by the numbers and hey if one worked they both probably did, right? Then when my morning sickness wasn’t horrendous and my stomach didn’t start poking out right away I thought maybe it was a singleton. I certainly wasn’t surprised to see twins, but still confused, scared… can I do this… with two? Do I have the patience? I keep thinking about little things like getting out of the house. I can’t just toss the baby in a Bjorne and head out … there will be TWO of them!!! They don’t make a double Bjorne!!! Walking in the back door when we got back it occurred to me that it would be a tough fit with one baby seat, but two!!!! How can one person carry TWO anyway!!! What will I do when it’s below freezing next winter?? Leave one outside while I bring the other in! AHHH!!! I’m so excited at the same time! It will be such and adventure! I can’t wait to see how they interact together and to see what the future holds for them! We’ll have double the cost and double the struggle, but we’ll have double the fun too!!! Breastfeeding two? Oh geez… I’m going to be like a feed station. I saw a woman at the grocery store just trying to check out with her ONE two year old son trying to run around the store. I wanted to say, “hey lady, that’s nothing... imagine if there was another one running in the other direction.” It almost made me laugh out loud… and that made me feel a bit insane already! How do you corral two of them while trying to do normal things? Will I have to either hire a babysitter to go to the store or wait for Tom to get home and go at night!? I know we’ll work it out and I know we’ll have fun with it... most of the time… it’s just overwhelming to think about!

We’ll be so special… I’ll be special when I’m big and HUGE carrying two babies in me!!! I’m excited for that! J Ha Ha!!!

I’m 8 weeks and 6 days today. It was amazing and a huge relief to see the ultrasound and see that they were measuring right on track. Their heartbeats were nice and strong – 182 and 169. It still feels as if we were looking at someone else’s ultrasound and I have to look at the picture with my name on it everyday to remind myself that they are indeed mine and I am indeed carrying them… just in case the morning sickness doesn’t confirm that for me! I do worry a little bit each day… are they still okay in there? I wish I could see them again! I wish I could feel their little hearts beating so that I would know all is well. I can’t wait to feel the first movement! I’m trying to remain calm and trust. I know that it is out of my hands now, all I can do is take good care of myself and get plenty of rest. I love them so much already and they are only 2.24 centimeters (just under an inch) big! By the end of this month they will be around 2 ½ to 3 inches big!! They are going to grow a lot!

Right now I have a bit of nausea all day long… which I don’t mind because, like I said, it’s an indicator that things are moving along. If I for a moment feel normal I have a moment of panic then remind myself that it will be here soon enough… and like clockwork it shows up. It was worst mid-morning when it first hit now it’s worst at night. Thankfully I’ve only barfed a couple of times. I am really exhausted most of the time. Going out into the world to shop or to the coffee shop to check my email – my only two real outings these days – wears me out. I could take a nap right now for sure. I’m still sleeping really well though I do get up once or twice a night to go to the bathroom. It’s super cold – well 60 degrees – at night, but I still wake up burning up a couple of times a night. Okay, that doesn’t sound like great sleep, but I know it’s better than what I will be getting in the near future. J Not to mention the not too distant future of spending my nights nurturing not one, but two babies! Ha ha J (I wish there was an insane emoticon!)

Tom is nervous mostly about getting through the pregnancy that results in a healthy mom and babies. He realizes that there is more potential for complications with a multiple pregnancy. I’m hoping to carry the babies close to term (32 wks at minimum) and not have to go on bed rest. I’m just going to take it slow and rest when I need to and hope my body can sustain the pregnancy. I’m going to sign up for a prenatal yoga class really soon! I wish it was either not super cold out… it’s only 20 something today and I know it’s just going to get COLDER. It’s hard for me to get motivated at all to go outside and walk already… it’s just going to get worse. I’ve thought about joining a gym just so I can go walk on their treadmill. That’s probably not a bad idea.

My next ultrasound is about three weeks away – the good news is that with a twin pregnancy (oh my God did I just say that… I’M having twins!) you are monitored more closely which means more ultrasounds. I go in on Dec. 22nd – I’ll be exactly 12 weeks by then and hope to see two very strong babies both measuring at 12 weeks. We are off to Houston to see my parents and relatives for Christmas and hopefully I’ll have a little belly to show off. I’m not sure when I’ll see my parents again. I’m hoping they come up before the baby is born to see Madison prior to the twins showing up… and of course I want them to come up for a while after the babies are born… Tom and I will need all the help we can get and they are planning to spend the summer outside of Houston anyway. J

No comments:

Post a Comment