Thursday, September 16, 2010

A big Shout Out to Madison




I was just writing and email to one of my Madison Peeps and started talking about Madison and how I miss it. Damn what a town!

I MISS THE HECK OUT OF MADISON! That really really shocked me. Not that I didn't think I would miss it, but I miss it to my core. THAT shocked me. I have moved a lot in my life and I've never missed a place like I miss Madison. I didn't even miss Seattle this much.. well I did, but in a different way and I think only less bc I know we will - eventually - return. With Madison it's different. We pulled away with no plans to ever return.

Madison is like a slice of heaven... really it is. Except for when the mercury falls below say 20 degrees. :) It's like "Leave it to Beaver", but big enough to not be SUCH A SMALL TOWN that everyone is all up in YOUR BUSINESS! I remember the first day I rolled into town. It was early November. I pulled onto our street and it was lined on either side by the most beautiful trees that were a blazing bright yellow at this time in fall. There were sidewalks.. YES SIDEWALKS.. on both sides of the street. It was a quaint feeling... a street full of modest homes. Just two blocks off a little shopping district w/ little shops both shopping and dining. I had no idea how much I was going to fall in love with that town. And I wouldn't realize how much I loved it until I left. That is a damn shame.

A lot of my feelings about that town are probably intertwined with the fact that I had my kids there and got through all the BABY stuff there. My kids and I rocked the crap out of every park in in town, the zoo, every coffee shop and all the bike/running paths. We were out there almost every damn day... until it got so cold that it just wasn't responsible to have kids out there. :) Then we took advantage of the pluthera of affordable kid activities and the homes of some wonderful midwestern friends.

And midwesterners... Don't even get me started. They are like southerns, but they are sincere! They really want to help you... they live to help you! It's amazing. Another thing that was BRUTALLY obvious when we moved to the east coast. Don't get me wrong. The people out here aren't RUDE, but they aren't midwesterners that's for sure! If you've ever spent time in the midwest you know what I mean. EVERY SINGLE person that came to our house to do a job in the midwest (which happens to be quite a few) treated us like family and acted like they were home. It was AMAZING to say the least... particularly having two very curious kids all up in there faces when they were trying to do said work.

And the recreation... damn I really didn't get how much I should have been appreciating that! The biker friendly roads and all the trails. Going from Seattle (also highly bike friendly) I didn't get that NOT EVERY PLACE makes it so damn convenient to ride and run safely. I have a much greater appreciation for that.

IMOO (Ironman Wisconsin) was just last weekend and I really miss having an IRONMAN in my home town too. It's an amazing spectacle. I took my easy access to spectating.. and thus inspiration for granted!

Anyway.. just wanted to give Madison it's proper due. I love you and I miss you!!! (The town and my peeps) I think of you often and for all five of you reading this... and the few of you that haven't been there. If you get the chance check it out!

3 comments:

  1. It's true, Madison rocks -- a good thing to remember sometimes and not take for granted! The east coast always seems like a romantic, exciting place to live in my eyes, but Madison is pretty nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more - once you leave, you appreciate and don't take for granted what you had.

    We miss Madison, as well. Milwaukee is still in the same area, but different. Milwaukee is proving to offer a lot of the same things, though. I am trying to be grateful for where we are now.

    Glad you are back to blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And midwesterners... Don't even get me started. They are like southerns, but they are sincere!" HAHAHAHA! Funny. Being a northerner living in the south I understand everything except the living in the midwest part. :)

    ReplyDelete