Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Vegan or not?

I've been on the fence about eating animal products.... I don't think Dairy suits me well and for a long time I have felt that humans shouldn't eat cows milk (thus other dairy products as well).. we are the only mammals that continue to drink milk past weening -- and another mammals milk at that. I've read that feeding a new born cows milk is not a great idea.. their little systems are designed to digest breast milk - from their MOM not a cow!!! I love this quote about milk, "Cow's milk is designed for baby cows, who have four stomachs adn gain hundreds of ounds in a matter of months, sometimes weighing more than 1,000 pounds before their second birthday."

there are many reasons that I would go vegan.. mostly that it would be a huge pain in the ass.. no seriously - it would, but!!! you leave a smaller footprint on the environment.. it takes a lot more resources to raise a cow then it does to grow grains, vegetables and fruit. There are also the health benefits of staying away from a highly artery clogging animal based diet and the humanity issues around the farming and "mass production" of animals only for our consumption.

The biggest issue for me is the health issue.. my health and the animals health. I don't want to eat some piece of meat or dairy product laden with pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.. Animals transfer more pesticides to you - in their fat - then a vegetable does!!!

Okay.. gotta run.. more on this later.. in the meantime check out www.goveg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment